Thursday, June 18, 2009

Away I Go to an Island Fair that Lies in a Southern Sea

***Kudos to anyone who gets the title reference!***

Saturday morning, bright and early, I'm getting in my little Saturn, complete with bike rack and bike, and heading to Hilton Head Island in South Carolina. I've been looking forward to this vacation...oh....since February, I think. A whole week at the beach with nothing pressing to do...divine. Well, I do have to keep up with tri-training, hence the bike on my Saturn...but Hilton Head has so many lovely bike paths that I think that won't be too taxing.

My family has been going to Hilton Head for as long as I can remember. Until I left for college, it was an annual event in June. I have so many fun memories...for me, going to "the beach" always meant Hilton Head. I spent countless hours on the beach, in the ocean, and particularly looking for shells. Most of my beach trips contained quintessential childhood beach memories...here are just a few of my favorites:


  • Shelling
  • Crabbing
  • Watching the shrimp boats come by as we were swimming
  • Peering into tidal pools to see the creatures (I had a stage where I desperately wanted to be a marine biologist)
  • Watching schools of porpoises come by as we were swimming
  • Floating and riding the waves on a canvas raft
  • Biking (gonna definitely re-live this one this year...but to the tune of 20 miles at a time!)
  • The joy of taking a shower after a long day on the beach
  • Eating seafood out (we didn't eat out much when I was growing up, so it was always a special treat!)
  • Spending time with my family
  • Shopping!
  • Playing hide and go seek in the house (I can still remember the time my Dad took the mattress out of the sleeper sofa and hid one of my friends in the sofa!)
  • Sitting on the screened in porch for hours...reading, watching people, and playing Crazy 8s with my Grandma
  • Feeding the turtles in the lagoon off the porch
  • Running away from the alligator in the lagoon!
  • Eating ham and turkey sandwiches for lunch (inside family joke)
  • Having a TV in my bedroom! (I never, never had this growing up...probably would have never passed any class!)
  • Afternoon naps to escape the heat of the day
  • Kayaking at Shelter Cove

And many more. Decided I had to end the list, though! In any case, I will be doing some of these things while I'm at Hilton Head, and I can't wait! See you in a week or so!

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Have a great trip!! love you!
Rachel