Wednesday, January 23, 2008

$$$

I've been thinking about money a lot these days. I imagine it's because this is the year that I will hopefully be buying a house. For the first year or so, I will probably epitomize the term of "house-poor". No matter. In the past I've found many things to entertain me that don't require money. If only I could convince my friends to change their lifestyels as well...and then I remember that 2 of them will likely be house-poor along with me. :)

Thinking about money can sometimes freak me out. For some reason, at a young age I convinced myself that I would be one of those people that are wealthy by 30. Considering I'm a year away from that momentous event, I think I'm not going to meet that goal! Thankfully, it's definitely not important to me anymore.

I would, however, like to be fairly financially secure by the time I hit 40. Since I started my new, higher-paying job in March of last year, I've been able to almost completely pay off the credit card debt I incurred as a result of my move up to Annapolis from SC and the first 2 years without a decent-paying job. In April, I should be debt-free! Of course, that's about the time I'll be adding the biggest debt of all- a mortgage. Just in time, I suppose.

I go back and forth with my relationship with money. Sometimes, I'm a frugal saver. Other times, I'm a careless spender. I've been working on the balance between saving what I need and spending enough to enjoy a modest quality of life. Since I'm such an all or nothing person, this line is quite difficult to find and walk. Hopefully, I will continue to learn and grow in my financial knowledge since I think the next few years will bring a lot of financial change!

No comments: