Friday, January 1, 2010

New Years' Resolutions

I don't typically put my New Years' Resolutions out on the internet...well really, I don't often even make resolutions!  But this year, I've felt a bit of a need for some changes in my life...nothing major, but little ways that I would like to improve myself.  I also like the idea of using the "New Year fresh start"  to inject a bit more discipline into my life.  I look around at my friends with kids and realize how little time they actually have to themselves.  If I have kids one day, I hope that I will have used the time I have now to accomplish some small things that are easier without little mouths to feed and lives to mold. So...here are my resolutions for 2010!  Let's hope I can stick to them for a little while at least...

1.  Complete the 365 day Photo Project-  Something about this is incredibly appealing to me.  Maybe it is the idea of having a photo record of what I've done for a year...or maybe it is the thought of being disciplined enough to take at least one photo every day and post it.  If I'm successful, this blog might have many more posts than in the past!

2.  Read through the Bible in a year-  I've had this goal for awhile.  But every time I start, I lose steam after a few days/weeks and never finish.  I think it's important to have read the entire thing if I am going to base my life on the Word of God, so I'd better get cracking!  I found a nice plan here...perhaps having a paper copy and one online will make me more motivated!

3.  For every novel that I read, read a nonfiction book-  I waste a lot of time reading fiction.  Some of it is good...some not.  So, I think I need to incorporate some nonfiction into my reading regimen...whether a history book, biography, book on a subject I'm interested in, or a spiritual book.  Since I joined J's book club, this will be a bit easier since the club occasionally reads non-fiction.  Coming up soon is a biography of Huey Long.  876 pages.  Think I can get away with counting that as 2 novels?

4.  Stick to my savings budget-  I go in and out of being good at saving money.  My net worth last year fluctuated by $5000 at any given time.  Sometimes I'm really good at saving...and then I go on spending sprees.  This year, I'd like to even that out a bit, so I've thrown a little "cushion" money into my budget to cover my erratic spending.  Instead of putting $1000 a month into savings, I'm going to attempt to put $700.  Better less saved a month and kept in there than having money subject to my erratic spending habits!

5.  Attempt a "No Spending" month-  This goes along with number 4.  As much as I detest our materialistic culture, I often get caught up in it.  I'd like for March or April to be a "no spending month"...including food, eating out, coffee, clothes, books, etc.  Don't worry...I'll still eat!  I'd just like to see how long I can last eating out of my freezer and pantry!

6.  Cook one or two recipe's from Julia Child's Mastering the Art of French Cooking for Sunday Dinner each week- So obviously, I stole this from the Julie/Julia Project blog and the book/movie of the same name.  But I love French cooking, and need to have a little discipline in order to make myself cook.  I am a decent cook...I can whip up a mean red sauce, put together casseroles, and cook a decent roast.  But, I'd like to take my cooking skills a little further.  I love cooking on Sundays because there is no pressure to be done at a certain time.  I can start cooking at 3:00, and if I'm done by 5:00, then we eat then.  If it's more like 7:00, that works, too.  Part of what I don't enjoy about cooking is the timing.  I haven't told my roommate that this is my plan (she might see it on the blog, though!)..but I don't think she will complain since she doesn't think that I cook enough.  I'm starting this weekend by watching Julie and Julia and making Boeuf Bourginion.  Good luck to me...

7.  Oh, and what is a list of New Years' Resolutions without one to lose weight?  So, I'd like to Lose 10 lbs.  Ha!

So those are my goals for 2010.  Again, nothing major, and all improvements I can certainly live with!

1 comment:

Rachel said...

So fun, great resolutions, hope you can stick with it!