Tuesday, February 23, 2010

54/365 Silver Oak


Tonight, after a good workout at the gym, I went to my local wine shop's Dollar Days sale.  Basically, all wine/spirits/beer are just a dollar over cost.  Last year, I bought 3 cases of wine.  This year, I held myself in check and only bought 20 bottles (3 of which were madeira, and a scotch).  These 4 lovely bottles are from a winery/producer that I greatly admire, but have never tasted.  Silver Oak has an Alexander Valley Cabernet Sauvignon, and a Napa Valley Cab.  They only make Cabernets, and are quite well-thought of.

I actually bought my first bottles of Silver Oak at the sale in February last year.  I bought one from each vineyard, and planned to give my then boyfriend wine connoisseur (now fiance wine connoisseur) one of the bottles for his birthday (in September).   I thought I would give him one of the bottles, and keep the other, sort of like a pair.  Then, when they are ready to drink in 5 or 10 years, we would either be together and drink them comparatively, or we would drink them wherever we were in our lives and remember each other fondly.

Well, by the time his birthday rolled around in September, I pretty much felt that we would be drinking them together in 5 or 10 years.  So I gave him both bottles. :)  J always says you should buy 2 bottles of a wine you are collecting to age, that way if you love it, you'll still have another bottle without having to pay top dollar for it, if it is even still available.  So last year at the sale in October, I bought another bottle each from both wineries.  At the sale tonight, I bought two bottles of each that I will eventually throw in J's cellar.  I'd like to collect two bottles of each vintage as we go through the years.

No comments: