Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Gulp...I'm a Homeowner?

It's official.  As of May 28th, I am a home owner.  A co-owner, actually.  Thankfully, our Settlement was uneventful...if you exclude the fact that J was in France visiting/helping his sister, and I signed both of our names on everything.  He skyped in while drinking wine and eating cheese and bread.  Doesn't seem quite fair, huh?  Don't worry, I'll get some work out of him in return!  Even though we are not married yet, we now are both joined on a legally binding contract.  Good thing neither of us has any reservations about getting married or plans to back out!  Of course, I am rather skilled at jumping the gun on things like buying a house, etc.

So now we own a house.  THE house actually.  This old Victorian seems to have a personality of her own.  I think we are going to get along, but we are definitely still getting acquainted!  I won't be moving in until after the wedding, but in the process of getting J moved in (which is only about 25% complete), I've learned a lot about our house! 

1.  She has high ceilings!  We painted the living room and dining room, and I spent most of the time taping and cutting in the ceiling on an 8 foot ladder.  The first floor ceilings are 12 feet!  The second floor are 10 feet.  Thankfully, we only have one room left to paint on the 3rd floor!

2.  Her kitchen is very inviting.  Copper ceiling, cherry cabinets, stainless appliances...nice and cozy.  J's counter height dining room/kitchen table fits perfectly!

3.  She likes antique furniture.  Luckily, between our two families, we have many lovely pieces that fit perfectly in the house.

4.  She collects dog hair.  Or maybe, the dogs like to give her hair.  In any case, it looks like I'm going to become a 2 times a week vacuumer.  At least.

So at some point, I PROMISE I will post some pictures.  Not having a camera makes it a bit difficult, though!  In the meantime, you'll likely find me painting, organzing, or moving furniture somewhere in our BIG new/old house!

No comments: