Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Laptop Lunches

After stalking a friend's Blog, Facebook, and Flickr account for awhile (shout out to Kristi!), I noticed she has a lunch system she uses for her 4 kids called "Laptop Lunches".  Basically, Laptop Lunches is a company that sells Bento Box style lunch boxes.  A Bento Box is a Japanese type of food presentation that is typically used for sushi, tempura, etc.  But there is apparently a "Bento Box" movement for making healthy lunches.

For me, lunch is one of the most difficult meals to make healthy.  Mostly because all I ever want for lunch is Chick-fil-A.  My bad.

Anyway, in my recent quest for healthiness, I've decided I need some kind of system for lunches.  Enter Laptop Lunches.  While the Bento Boxes aren't cheap, I haven't had any type of "lunch box" for awhile.  I try to bring my lunch to work often, but usually I have some sort of leftovers in a Gladware container.  A Bento Box style lunch is beneficial for a number of reasons.

Number #1: The Bento Box is really cute.  I know, I know...a terrible reason for me to like it, but I do!

Number #2: Portions are easily controlled.  One thing emphasized by the bento box is variety.  Instead of bringing a large-ish portion of leftovers, I feel challenged to bring 4 different types of food in my lunch.  And since the containers are not very large, I can't bring "too much" of one item.

Number #3: As mentioned above, the variety makes it easy to bring fruits, veggies, whole grains, and protein.  I strive to have one container of each of those food groups in my Bento Box.

I'm in my second week of taking Bento lunches...and I love them!  I feel virtuous, they taste good, and I know I am being both healthy, and environmentally friendly.  I usually prep my lunches on Sunday, and then simply pack them up each night before I go to bed for easy transport in the morning (great for us non-morning folk).

Here is my first day of Laptop Lunching:


The outer insulated case


The actual Bento Box


The selection for my first week of Laptop Lunches: Homemade gazpacho (thanks, J!), Strawberries with feta and balsamic, deviled egg, and carrots

I'm hoping that making and brining healthy lunches to work will help me be healthier, lose a bit of weight, be environmentally conscious, and help me save money (Chick-fil-A gets expensive!)


No comments: