Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Downtime is Delectable...

I have to say, this weekend was quite lovely.  For me, it was the perfect mix of busyness and downtime.  I spent some time with J, got 2 training runs in, had my planned early Thanksgiving dinner with friends, sang a few Christmas carols, and spent Sunday on the sofa watching football, continuing to acquaint myself with my MacBook, and reading.

Even though cooking my early Thanksgiving meal was work, it was very enjoyable.  Friday night, I went to the grocery store and cleaned the house from top to bottom.  Saturday, I went for a 5 mile run in the AM, had grits casserole with J and watched College Gameday.  My turkey went in around 11, and then I started working on the dressing and broccoli spinach casserole.  It was a lovely fall day outside, which added to the enjoyment of cooking inside for some reason.  My Linner companions came over around 2, and the food was on the table by 2:30.  It was certainly a modest Thanksgiving meal...3 dishes and no sweet potato anything, but it was tasty, and I didn't need to have tons and tons of food leftover!  A friend brought a yummy pumpkin mousse pie (that I am still enjoying out of the fridge!), and after an enjoyable afternoon, we headed out to sing Christmas Carols at a holiday lighting ceremony.

Once the carols were sung, I headed up to Baltimore to hear a concert version of Donizetti's Don Pasquale.  It was a good performance, and I even managed to be home in bed by midnight!  Unfortunately, Marcello seems to be suffering from an ear infection (I took him to the vet yesterday), so he was restless and waking me up all night shaking his head and scratching his ears.  I was worried about him, and didn't sleep very well.  I was up at 6:30 AM anyway to run the Cold Turkey 10K race.  It was a fun race...so fun, in fact, that we decided to run it again when we were done!  Ok, ok, we did have 12 miles on our schedule for Sunday. :)

After I got home from the run, I ate some leftovers, took a nice hot shower, and crawled into bed for some football and a nap.  Di-vine, I tell you!  I managed to rouse myself about 3 PM, blow-dry my hair, and head downstairs to veg on the couch in front of football.  I haven't had an afternoon like that in a long time.  Everything that needed to be done was taken care of, and I just relaxed.  I did make turkey tetrazzini with the leftovers to stick in the freezer, and got to finish up listening to Pat Conroy's South of Broad in the process.  Since I didn't sleep well the night before, I was in bed by 10 PM.  All in all...a great weekend!

Tomorrow, I head to SC for a Homeland Thanksgiving.  As I've mentioned, we are headed to Charleston on Thanksgiving Day.  We'll start off with the South of Broad walking tour, and then have our Thanksgiving meal at Magnolia's.  Sounds like a great day to me! Let's all say a quick prayer that my flight tomorrow night is not cancelled and is relatively on time!  I'm bringing my MacBook, so look for some blogs from the Homeland.

No comments: