Friday, November 27, 2009

Giving Thanks in the Holy City

My Thanksgiving this year was one of those days that will likely stick in my mind forever.  The day was stunning, and we spent the bulk of it in Charleston.  Temperatures were in the 60s, and the skies were clear and blue.  After 3 or 4 straight days of cold, gray rain in Maryland, 60s and the sun were rather welcome!

We started the day with a walking tour based on Pat Conroy's novel, South of Broad.  I finished the audiobook this weekend while roasting my turkey breast.  The tour was fantastic and hit a lot of the sites mentioned in the novel such as St Michael's church, the four corners of law, some of the residential areas "South of Broad", the Battery, and more.  Here are a few photos I snapped that show how gorgeous the day was:



St. Michael's




Four Corners of Law at Broad and Meeting St






Looking down the Battery on East Battery St



Me in Battery Park in front of the Cooper River

After the tour and a little more wandering around, we headed to Magnolia's for Thanksgiving dinner.  We met my Godmother and her travel friends, and we proceeded to have a lovely meal.  My Dad and I split a bottle of Pinot Noir...and then had some Fried Green tomatoes.  I had the "Carolina Carpetbagger", twin filets topped with fried oysters and madeira sauce.  Yummy!  Creme Brulee was dessert.

As the sun was setting, we were headed out of the city headed towards Columbia.  I felt so at peace after such a lovely day.  I highly recommend visiting Charleston for Thanksgiving!

No comments: