Friday, August 20, 2010

Meh.

That's how I feel about the Iron Girl triathlon coming up this weekend.  This is my third year doing it...and the first time I haven't been excited and nervous.  Honestly, if I hadn't paid the $100 entry fee and biked/swam/run for most of the summer, I think I would probably be a no-show.  It just takes up so much of a weekend where I need to get other stuff done!

I guess I should have known that I was less than enthused about the Tri this year when I found out about my eye floaters and asked my eye doc if I'd be able to exercise, (specifically run). I had read that people with floaters and seeing flashing lights should avoid jarring exercise, such as running.  I was disappointed when the doc said I was cleared for all exercise.  Drat!  My built in excuse wouldn't work. 

So, here I am...a month later and still slated to do the triathlon this weekend.  Sure, I've kind of trained...but not the way I would have wanted to.  I have a feeling that my time will be at least 10 minutes slower this year than last.  But that is ok.  I've had a wedding to plan and a new house to buy and care for!

This proves to me even more that I am definitely an athlete whose goals are simply doing something, instead of improving on time, etc.  I've only run 1 half marathon (by itself), and have no desire to do another.  I've run one full marathon (by itself) and have no desire to do another one.  One Goofy Challenge...and -you guessed it- no desire to run another.  Yep, I definitely get a charge from finishing something that requires more endurance, or that I didn't think I could finish.  So...where does that leave me with regard to my next athletic challenge?

As I see it, I have a few options.  A few of them are listed over on the right hand side of the blog.  First, I suppose I could try an Olympic distance triathlon.  I enjoy the tri format...I just feel that I have "conquered" the Iron Girl as fast as I ever will.  I'm ready for more of an endurance challenge.  My issue is that I don't think I will ever want (or have the time) to train for an ultra marathon or an IronMan.  So, I thought it might be a good goal to complete a Century ride (100 miles on a bike), and perhaps one day get into and train for the Great Chesapeake Bay swim.  That one makes me nervous...but I think I could do it!

Anyway, I'll be spending most of my weekend prepping for and racing the Iron Girl triathlon.  Checking in and bike racking tomorrow afternoon...and then getting up at 4 AM to head out to the triathlon Sunday morning.  Check back to see if I actually manage to get myself there and to the finish line...

No comments: