Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Enjoying Life in the Spring

I always think that I like Winter...that is, until it's March here in Maryland and the temperatures are still in the 40s. But then, before I know it, the trees are blooming, the weather is a bit warmer...and it's Spring! It's been 5 years since I moved to Annapolis, but I'm still always struck by how beautiful it is here near the Bay in the Spring.


The past 2 springs, I've begun my triathlon training in April. This year is no different, so I have been back on the bike a few times this year. Last week was the start of my official training plan, so I headed out from the house for one of my standard 10 mile loops. It was a beautiful spring evening- coolish, crisp and sunny. The loop I rode takes me from my house, down to the Bay Ridge area of Annapolis and back. For those of you not familiar with Bay Ridge...it's basically located at the edge of the peninsula that Annapolis sits on, jutting out into the Chesapeake and at the mouth of the Severn River. See Map Here (zoom in to see Bay Ridge)

The road that I ride/run during this loop is hilly and wooded. There is one last hill right before the first view of the Bay. I'm always huffing and puffing up the hill...and then suddenly the Chesapeake stretches out in front of me. For those of you who have been on this route...you know what I'm talking about. In the winter, it's pretty and cold. In the spring and fall on a clear day...it's stunning. Someday, I'll have to take pictures. In any case, last week when I traversed this lap, the sun was low in the sky shining on the water. As I headed up Bay Dr towards the corner ridge, I was looking at the Bay Bridge. Then, when I turned the corner and headed up River Dr, I could see Annapolis and the Naval Academy Dome. It was so breathtakingly beautiful that I had to stop and just look. Every time I take this route, I'm reminded of how beautiful the place I live actually is! If you had told me 5 years ago that I would be able to get home from work, hop on my bike and see something like this...I would never have believed you!

I've also enjoyed wandering around town in the lovely weather. On Saturday, my roommate and I walked through the Murray Hill neigborhood and then got brunch at 49 West, a favorite hangout of ours. The day was so lovely, and I kept thinking about how much I love Spring here! I've also planted all of my plants in containers on the back deck at the house, and they make me smile. Hooray for Spring!

No comments: