Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Just Inject the Toxins, Please

This weekend, I decided that it would be a good idea to try a detox diet. I've been reading about them for awhile, and thought that it would be a good way to "cleanse" my body and exercise a little bit of discipline. Plus, this is Holy Week, which is always an appropriate time to practice self-deprivation. My detox diet involved eating only fruits and veggies all week. Easy, right? Ha!

Well. I began by eating just fruits and vegetables for breakfast, lunch, and dinner on Monday. Not too bad, although I was a bit wiped out by the end of the day. I should also add that this detox involved no coffee. I have one cup of coffee every morning...it is part of my routine and helps me get going. By the end of Monday evening, I had a mild headache and was crashing. Tuesday morning, I woke up with a tension headache that stretched from my shoulder to the top of my head. I went off to work with no coffee again, and ate a banana for breakfast. I was in a terrible mood, and it's surprising that I made it through the day without snapping at someone!

By 4:00, I knew that I would never make it all week without protein or bread. By 6:00, I had decided to have a chicken sandwich for dinner. So I did. It tasted fantastic. By 8:00, my raging headache had started to recede. By 10:00, I felt my mood lifting.

This morning, I woke up and had my coffee. Driving to work, I was listening to Disney tunes and was in a fabulous mood! When my 9:00 training session cancelled, I decided it was a sign that I should have Crack (Chick-fil-A) for breakfast. So I did. By 10:00, I was in an even better mood. Tonight, I got home and made Pasta Fagioli. I also had some wine, which is apparently a toxin as strong as coffee. Yet, I highly recommend it.

Moral of the story? Apparently, toxins are what keep my mood lifted. So, I'll be consuming them...no more detox diets for me!

No comments: