Friday, April 24, 2009

Everest, My Everest

Continuing on with my "Spring" theme, another thing I always do in the Spring is follow climbers on Mt. Everest. In the new Blogging/Podcasting/Video/Twitter days, it's easy to track the progress of a few Everest Expeditions. Most expeditions make Summit Bids during May each year. The trekking and acclimatizing begins in April...along with the deliciously detailed blogs.

I have a bit of an unhealthy obsession with all things Everest...as I wrote a few years ago ...there is a part of me that would LOVE to climb Everest. But, since my doctor would never clear me, I have no climbing experience, and I am poor (comparatively)...I am left to attempt to live vicariously through climbers I find on the web. And really, let's face it...I am much more suited to vacationing in Paris at the Ritz with a glass of wine in my hand than freezing my rear end off on the side of a mountain in the Himalayas for 2 months. 2 months of freezing temperatures, and hours of sheer boredom resting...punctuated by a few minutes of sheer joy at the Summit while oxygen deprivation reduces your brain power to the level of a heavily intoxicated person. And even as I write that, it still sounds exciting to me. Ah well, cheers to those dreams that go unfulfilled.

I still plan to trek through Nepal to Everest Base Camp at some point...but going up the mountain for me simply isn't an option. In the meantime, here are links to a few of the expeditions I'm stalking...I mean following...this year:

First Ascent Team- Experienced Climbers back for more (and guiding a 17 year old up the mountain for her first Summit attempt).

On Top of the World- Apa Sherpa goes for 19. Everest Summits, that is.

My Everest Challenge- Gavin Bate waxes eloquent on the Mountain.

If you Tweet...I think all of these expeditions are on Twitter as well.

Happy Trails!

No comments: