Sunday, November 6, 2011

NaBloCleanPoMo Day #5 The Gutter

One project that we have to complete occasionally at our house is cleaning out the gutters.  Well, I at least am in charge of the gutter on the front of our house.  Most people are able to get up to clean their gutters with a ladder.  We don't have a ladder tall enough to get to the gutter on our 2nd floor.  So someone has to go out the bedroom window.  Seeing as I am blessed with former gymnast toe-grip skills, I am the best choice for crawling out on the pitched roof to empty the gutter.

The last time we cleaned the front gutter was 10:30 at night before we were headed to Maine.  A storm called Irene was headed our way, and we wanted to be sure the gutters were free to carry water away from our house.  Even though it was chilly this morning, this was a much easier project during the day.  Although, I could see how high up I actually am on the roof...

I think the following pictures tell the story well:


Clogged gutter


Step 1: Remove window screen


Step 2: Climb out window and scoot down pitched roof towards gutter


Step 3: Lean over and pull gunk out of gutter and throw to ground


Perch carefully (notice the car on the street below...that's how high it is!)


Unlike Felina, who laid on the floor while I was magic erasing the wall, Kyra wanted to help with the gutters.  We told her that dogs and roofs don't mix.


She was sad.


Much cleaner!


I am glad this is a task we don't have to do all that often!








No comments: