Friday, September 14, 2012

The Power of Singing with a Group

Today, I'm taking a break from the serious anxiety-related posts to talk about something very dear to my heart.  Music.

This weekend, I have the honor of singing with 10 other ladies at a good friend's wedding.  Incidentally, these are the same ladies who sang so beautifully at my wedding!  I am so happy to return the favor for my friend, and even happier that she chose the same music as J and I had.  I think she did it mainly for the ease of our singing group, but I am very excited to be singing this music.  Obviously, I picked it because I love it!  I was so blessed to have such dedicated friends who rehearsed many times for our wedding...but it was hard for me that they were rehearsing without me and for me not to get to sing the music.  It is not the easiest music to learn, but I've had fun learning it and singing it with my friends.

There is something otherworldly and supernatural about singing beautiful music with a group of like-minded people.  Of course, singing in general always calms my heart and is fulfilling for me, but I much prefer singing in a group.  In our women's group, we are working to created a blended, uniform sound.  It is certainly a challenge to contribute sound to the group, but not stick out.  It requires listening, singing, and feeling the music in your spirit.  I know that sounds cheesy, but it is true!

In a sense, it is a bit like being part of the Body of Christ.  Each person has to contribute their own time and talent to maintain the balance, but no one person or voice should be heard above another.  The goal of the group is to present something beautiful, with no one person receiving glory and praise above another.  When the goal is for the group to blend, each individual singer has to "die to themselves" (in this case, their own voice and wanting to be heard/praised), and sing for the good of the group.

In any case, I am very much looking forward to this weekend...seeing a friend get married, and honoring her and the Lord by singing beautiful music with my friends.  I can't ask for much more than that! :)

2 comments:

GERALD ULTIMATE said...

MAKE MONEY ONLINE WITH GENUINE INVESTMENT COMPANIES..https://http://globalprofitpay.blogspot.com.ng/

-blessed b9, Catalyst4Christ said...

Puh-ray-zuh Gawwd, girl!
Meet me Upstairs someday...