Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Evolution of a Blog

The other day, I was thinking about how my blog has changed over the 3.5 years I've been posting on it. After I moved to Annapolis, I started blogging on xanga as a daily webjournal type of thing to keep my friends and family updated in lieu of mass emails. I posted almost daily on what I had been up to, etc. Over the next 2 years, as I discovered that more and more people were reading my blog, I became blog-prideful and starting writing insightful and deep blogs of my thoughts and opinions. That only lasted a little while...my thoughts and opinions don't change too often so I never had anything new to write! I also had a lot of free time at work to blog...until March of 2007 when I started my current job. My blog posting fell off at that point, and hasn't really picked up much since. In October of '07, I switched my blogging platform to Blogger, which I like much better.

I think I'm writing this just to explain to my readers (and myself) why I don't blog too often. I'm hoping to change that- I realized that I haven't been blogging much about what I've been doing recently...even though it's all very interesting and very fun! I'd like to take this blog back to its roots a bit and post about the things I am doing in my life...and less about my thoughts on life. I think those will come along for the ride too...but sometimes I feel so pressured to blog about something significant and meaningful. Also, since I am the Google-Stalking queen, I know how easy it is to find people you know through googling organizations and activities. So, few names will be listed here.

What has been taking up most of my evening time recently is rehearsing for a Gilbert & Sullivan opera up in Baltimore. I am having a great time with most of the music and with the people. I feel a bit like a "real" singer since we actually have to memorize the music. I've been wandering around during the day with my cheat sheets mumbling words. I'm sure my co-workers are a bit confused! Really though, memorization comes very easily to me, so I dont' expect it to be a problem.

The drive to Baltimore gets a bit old, but thankfully my friend SP is singing too, so we carpool together. It's made for some fun conversations and A LOT of debriefing after rehearsals. But, since that's what we do best (debriefing), it's to be expected. There is a bit of dance involved in this show, as well as a big heavy costume. I went out and bought a pair of character shoes last weekend- since this is the second time I've needed a pair I decided to bite the bullet and buy some. Thankfully, they are very comfy. We begin staging the opera on Friday, so I'll be interested to see how that works. The whole experience is a learning one for me, and I'm enjoying myself immensely so far.

My other major commitment of the summer is triathlon training. I've mentioned it before...but I really didn't know quite the commitment that this training involves! I've joined a swim class, I bike twice a week, and run one or twice a week. If I follow my plan properly, I'm exercising 5 days a week! This has involved some lunchtime treadmill or bike time which I don't love...but I've got to get something in even on days that I have rehearsal. I write more about exercise on my running blog, so you can go there for more info.

I have managed to squeeze in a little hang-out time with friends...but I'm sure some feel like I've abandoned them! I promise I'll be back around soon...

No comments: