Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Trials, Tribulations, and Triumphs

Trials
I've been watching the Olympic Trials for Diving, Gymnastics, Track, and Swimming for the past few weeks. It's put me in quite the athletic frame of mind. I've been thinking a lot recently about my gymnastics career- and then I started remembering how much I loved watching Olympic gymnastics as a young girl. My parents taped a lot of the '88 Olympic Trials and the Games in Seoul, and I'm pretty sure I wore the tapes out watching them over and over when I was bored. A little Youtube searching brought up the routines I remember vividly! I could still remember certain moves that certain gymnasts had in their routines (Kristie Phillips banging her fists on the floor, Pheobe Mills' cutesy dance, etc), as well as their floor music (I always loved Daniela Silivas' floor music). Anyway, I started watching videos talking about the physical, mental, and emotional cost that gymnastics can take on young girls. Kristie Phillips was a prime example- such talent, but her Olympic dreams were derailed by coaching changes and puberty. I'm not sure what I think about the sport anymore- I was lucky because my coaches were great- but I know those at higher levels often suffer from eating disorders and other emotional and mental issues. But, you have to be tough to get to that level, and if you want it bad enough then you might be willing to sacrifice some parts of life. Perhaps a thought to continue in another post. If I ever have a daughter, I won't push her towards gymnastics because of the tolls it takes, but if she wants to do it then I won't stop her.

Tribulations
Ok, so I haven't really had any tribulations in the past week or so- it just fit well with the title. I suppose my only tribulation-ish experience is that I feel very ready for a vacation. I'm a bit tired...I've been going pretty hard the past few weeks between training for the tri and rehearsals, so I'm glad it's almost time for a long weekend!

Triumphs
Swimming! I think I'm going to do ok in the swim part of the triathlon. If I swim fairly slow, I'm able to complete a somewhat long distance. I have to swim about 1100 meters for the race, and I think I can do it.

I'm officially headed back to Maine for a vacation in August. Maureen and I are headed to visit our friends Jean and John in Bangor. We visited them on our way to and from Prince Edward Island last year, but this year we are going for a cheap vacation and will stay with them the whole week. We are also driving- it's about 12 hours- so it will be a fun roadtrip! They live on a lake and have 2 adorable kitties...so it's sure to be a good time! I have a feeling we will make it out to Bar Harbor and Acadia Nat'l Park again, as well. Plus, the weather up there in August is usually quite lovely.

No comments: