Thursday, January 15, 2009

In a New York State of Mind...

A few months ago, my roommate Maureen and I realized that we should do something to mark our upcoming end-of-January birthdays. Both of us are hitting fairly significant milestones (30 for me, foooortyahemcoughcoughguhfive for her), and we thought that a trip somewhere fun would be a great way to celebrate. Knowing that we both love the arts, particularly the musical ones, we decided that New York City would be the perfect destination for some birthday fun. We posed the idea of a Wayward Chorus Girls Adventure in the City to our Wayward Chorus Girl friends, and 6 of them accepted! Including Maureen, myself, her sister, another friend, and the WCG, we have 9 arts-loving, fun-seeking, intelligent women planning to descend on the Big Apple Jan 30th-Feb 1st (which happens to be my birthday weekend). So perfect!

Our trip will begin with a 2 3/4 hour train trip from BWI to the City on Friday, Jan 30th. That evening, we'll probably grab dinner somewhere and I plan on celebrating the last night of my 20s with a trip to a dance club. Not that I have spent many nights of my 20s in clubs...but it seems like an appropriate end to the decade, no? We're staying at the Westin Times Square...I can't wait to fall into the Heavenly Bed!

Saturday (my actual birthday) I think I'm going to treat myself to room service. Not sure if anyone else is going to join me (it can be expensive!), but it seems like the perfect Birthday morning treat! Saturday afternoon, I will have my first Met Opera experience when we see Rigoletto. Saturday evening will bring a yummy dinner.

Sunday morning/early afternoon is up in the air...maybe a nice brunch? But at 3 PM, we have tickets to see WICKED! Finally! I've only been trying to see this show since it opened...can you tell I'm excited? I know all the music from the album and singing it at Piano Bar, so it will be hard to not sing along! Our train leaves at 9 PM Sunday night, so I have a feeling we'll probably spring for another good dinner before heading back home.

All in all, I'm so looking forward to this fabulous weekend! It is so special to have friends with you on such an occasion, and I'm thankful for them and that I will have made it to 30. :)

No comments: