Saturday, January 31, 2009

Thoughts on Turning 30, The Big Three-oh, Getting Old, Etc

***This post was written prior to my actual birthday, but since I'm in New York City I thought I'd schedule it to post on the appropriate day.***

It's interesting to think that I'm turning 30. Thirty years of living on this earth. I'm actually quite excited to be reaching this milestone. All of my older friends say that their thirties were truly the best years of their life. I've had friends who had a crisis about turning 30. I had a "quarter-life crisis" at 25, so I don't plan on having one now!

When I was 15, 30 seemed so old! I imagined myself married with kids by the time I hit this age. Who would have thought I'd actually be thankful to not be married at my age? But, I am. I've had such fun being a single gal for the past three years or so. I've been able to do so many things and have so many opportunities. Not that I want to stay single forever, mind you...but it sure has been a fun ride recently!

When I was thinking back over where my life has taken me in the past 15 years or so, there was one thing that really stood out. You see, when I used to imagine myself as a "grown-up" single woman...I had this vision of myself in a high-powered job, living in a fancy apartment all by myself...but I never imagined myself with friends. I'm not sure why that is...maybe I was still in my introverted stage at that point in my life and thought I wouldn't need friends or people around me? But the thing is, when I think about all of the fun experiences and memories that I have from the last half of my life (and really the first, too) the things that really stand out to me are the people I've known and loved. My friends and family. As cheesy as it sounds, they have helped shape me into the person that I am, and I think without people, my life would be sad and boring. Because of that, I think the fact that 6 of my close friends are traveling to New York with me to celebrate is a fitting way to celebrate my 30 years on this earth.

And really, how bad can 30 be? I have fabulous friends, a good job, enough financial security to buy myself diamond earrings, a great guy in my life...shoot, 30 seems to be shaping itself up to be one of my best birthdays yet! At least, I'm not complaining...:)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have heard, in all honesty, that 30 is the new 20. I don't know who decides these things, but I hear great things about 30. I'll admit I'm afraid to turn 30 myself, but it's all about the outlook on life. And girl, you have a great one :)