Monday, March 17, 2008

A Warm Welcome

What is it about a group of people that makes us feel welcome or unwelcome? Is it an attitude? Words? Body Language?

I've been a part of my "circles" here in Annapolis for awhile now, so I've forgotten what it feels like to not be in the middle of things and feel welcome. However, this past week, I have been associating with a group of people of which I am not officially a part. I know a fair number of people in this group, some of whom I consider very good friends. Yet, I do not feel welcome. I have interacted with this group for the past few years, so most of them know who I am. The unwelcome vibe is almost imperceptible, but I can still feel it. No one has been rude, but only one person has been outwardly welcoming.

It has caused me to examine my hospitality- not in my home but in groups where outsiders may be brought in. Do I exude a spirit of superiority? I can say that I don't go out of my way to welcome those I don't know well. After my experience this week, I hope that will change. I don't want people that come into my circles to feel the way I've felt this week.

But, where is the line between being welcoming and seeming desperate for new people? Sometimes new people feel uncomfortable answering lots of questions about themselves. It's a hard balance, but I think I too often fall out on the side of being unwelcoming and ignoring people.

Am I the only person who experiences this? I wonder, because I have a strange quirk to my personality. I'm very outgoing with people I know well or in situations where I feel very comfortable, yet very shy in other situations.

No comments: