Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Tidbits From My Mind

I haven't been very good at expressing myself in complete thoughts on this blog lately. Perhaps it's because there are so many thoughts running around in my head. Bullet points seem to be the way to go for me these days...so I'll take a stab at transferring the jumble of thoughts in my head to organized bullet points....HA!

Starbucks
A Starbucks recently opened up around the corner from my office. While I am definitely a fan of local coffee shops, in a pinch Starbucks more than does the trick. I find myself gravitating there when I need to get out of the office and want to read a book, journal, listen to music, or just sit and watch people. I usually get a cheap brewed coffee and just enjoy myself. I've been trying to go on Tuesdays recently because they have a free iTunes download that comes out on Tuesdays. So far, I haven't found any new musicians that I love...but I like the idea of free music!

The Everest Podcast
Speaking of free things on iTunes, I've recently gotten into Podcasts. I know they've been around awhile...but I can be slow to pick things up sometimes. For my less tech-savvy readers (ok...just my parents!), a podcast is essentially an audio or video recording of a tv show, part of a radio program, or a recording submitted by anyone who wants to get their message out there. My favorites are the NPR Piano Puzzler, A Prairie Home Companion's "News from Lake Wobegon", and the Everest Podcast. The Everest Podcast was recorded by a "city-slicker" who decided he wanted to travel to Nepal and trek to Everest (sound familiar?). Since this is what I plan to do in the fall of '09, I've been enjoying listening to his adventures. Maybe by the time I go I'll be savvy enough to create my own podcast!

Summer Plans
Remember my last blog where I talked about not wanting to be bored this summer? Well, it seems as if "I'm bored" will not be a phrase that even enters this jumbled brain of mine this summer. My friend Sharon and I decided to accept a musical opportunity that was presented to us, despite the hectic nature of the schedule. While it will be trying.... I think the challenge is worth it. I don't think we'll regret taking advantage of this opportunity. Between that and training for a triathlon...hmmm. No boredom there...

Triathlon Training
Well, I've at least got the hang of running and biking. I'm fairly slow at both, but I think I'll make it. I will begin my swimming adventure on Saturday. That will be interesting...I haven't used swimming for exercise since my college track days. Everyone says I have the body of a swimmer, so maybe my big shoulders will come in handy for once!

Time with Friends
I have very much been enjoying spending time with my friends recently. Between sitting on the deck at our house, enjoying dinner at an old friends' apartment and meeting her two boys, picnicing in Shady Shide on the Bay, and sitting on the deck at the Eastport Yacht Club, I've had some great conversations and some good times. I'll hope this trend of spending time with friends continues into the summer...

No comments: