Saturday, May 17, 2008

Yuppie, Yuppie

As I was riding into DC on the metro the other day to meet some old friends for dinner...it suddenly occurred to me...I'm a yuppie. Yep. When I was in high school and college, I always pictured yuppies as young people who lived in old bungalow houses with babies. But, as most of you know, the definition is "Young Professional". Somehow I've gotten there. It hit me as I was looking at a young woman in a suit listening to her iPod. I thought- "Now there's a Yuppie...". Then I looked at myself. While not in a suit, I was dressed nicely...and I was listening to Podcasts on my iPod (granted...it was a podcast about opera...which makes me more of a geek than a Yuppie...but you get the picture!)

I do Yuppie-type things...go to martini bars, drink wine, drop way too much on a dinner out, bike, ride the metro, drink expensive coffee, go to shows....yeah. I'm so there. It's quite frightening to me that I've hit that stage. I suppose I've been in it for awhile...but I have always considered myself more geek than Yuppie.

Anyway, I also noticed that the marketing in Metro stations is interesting. On the Orange Line, from Eastern Market in, all of the adds are for tech type things...iPods, gadgets, trendy alcohol, etc. Basically, it's marketing targeting Yuppies like me. :) But, as the demographics change from Eastern Market out into Prince George's county...the ads change. Almost every Ad from Stadium-Armory out to New Carrollton was "How to get the most out of your Medicaid". Interesting to say the least.

No comments: