Wednesday, November 28, 2007

A Blog About Blogging

Every now and then, I start to wonder why I have a blog. I think the purpose is two-fold: to update friends and family who are far away, and to have a place to write my thoughts on various subjects. It's that external processing trait, I suppose.

Anyway, I've recently had all kinds of thoughts rolling around in my head that I want to blog about. However, now that I can no longer track who reads my blog (the downside to leaving xanga), I'm a bit more wary of writing about my personal thoughts/life. And really, my professional life is far from interesting...:) It's odd that I don't mind strangers reading my personal thoughts, but thinking about an acquaintance reading them is scary! Even when I get somewhat personal/sappy/emotional, nothing I write is different from what I would say to someone in person, even someone who is just an acquaintance. So why am I concerned about that same type of person reading my thoughts online? I think it's because there is no feedback, no opportunity to defend my opinions or thoughts. Someone can read what I write and make an instant judgment without asking me to explain further or clarify points that might seem harsh or strange. I know that's what blog comments are for, but I haven't really had anyone question what I've said in comments in a long time.

What's funny is that most of the things I want to write about are subjects that I've touched on before on my blog. Most of them are in the xanga archives. The sad thing is that I don't think I have anything new to say on those subjects. I guess I keep revisiting the same thoughts...I'm not sure if that is good or bad. Am I so boring that I can't think of new subjects to write about, or even new thoughts on old subjects?

Basically, I think I'm trying to explain my lack of thoughful writing in the past few weeks/months. Perhaps I'll go to just blogging about interesting events that happen. It seems that I'm striving for some kind of organization to this blog. That probably isn't going to happen, but I'll at least play around with the idea in my head!

No comments: