Thursday, November 8, 2007

Flexibility

I have never been particularly good at being flexible. Whether physically (I had to be the most inflexible gymnast ever... I could barely do a split!), or mentally. It's hard to find a balance between being flexible to meet the needs of others and standing up for yourself so you don't become a doormat. More often than not, I tend to fall out on the end of standing up for myself too much.

Recently, events have challenged my inflexible side. Particularly when it comes to my schedule. I live and die by the schedule on my palm pilot. With my crazy life, it's the only way I can keep things straight. My one frustration with my job is that, in a sense, I am not in control of my schedule. As a trainer, our Account Execs schedule trainings for me. So, I may come into work in the morning thinking that I have 2 trainings that day, and by the end of the day I've had 4. It's difficult to prepare mentally for those kinds of days. I'm learning to deal with it, however. I do my best to stay in control of my schedule, but often it spirals out of my control!

I think life does it's best to teach us flexibility. Just when we think we have things under control, we have to adapt and change to something new, sometimes with very little time to prepare. I'm learning more and more about this...

On a lighter note, I have a busy weekend/week coming up. I'm house sitting until Sunday, Friday night I'm going into DC for dinner with some friends from work, and Saturday is the annual Tug o War between Eastport and Annapolis. I'm tagging along with Maureen to a party she attends every year that begins at 9 AM. Next week is already full with trainings for work, and the weekend following that is pretty full as well. I guess it is all a warm-up for the Holiday season...rehearsal after rehearsal and concert after concert! Oh, and prepping for a giant party in between all of those singing commitments...

No comments: