Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Reflecting

There are some things in life that cause me to look back and reflect on my past...where I am now, where I was, and where I might have been. Music, holidays, and annual traditions are some of the things that make me reflect on the past.

As many blogs as I've written trying to explain my love for/passion for/irresitable pull towards music (look back at the xanga archives if you feel like it), I can never quite capture it in words. Which makes sense when I realize that my connection to music is more emotional than anything else, and thus is difficult to describe in words. Anyway, when I hear a musical work or song that I've performed in the past, it always takes me back to that place. Last night, the Palestrina motet Sicut Cervus came up on my ipod. Until this fall, I hadn't sung this piece since we went to Italy in college. The first time I sang it again this year, it took me right back to our performance in St. Peters. I love the piece...partially because of the musical content, but also because of the words. It's a Latin version of Psalm 42...as the deer...beautiful words set to beautiful music...can we really ask for more than that? I was just struck by the way music can take me right back to another time.

Holidays and traditions do the same thing. I always think, "Last year at this time I...". Especially since college, I'm able to mark the holidays by what was going on that year. For example, my first year in Annapolis, first year in my new job, etc. Last year at this time, I had no idea that I would have a new job, or have finished a marathon by now. It's interesting to me to see what stays the same year to year, and what changes. It's kind of exciting...who knows what's in the Lord's plan for me next year?

Well, in just a few minutes I'm headed to SC for Thanksgiving. Happy Turkey Day, everyone!

No comments: