Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Vacation So Far...Priceless

Our vacation has been lovely so far. After a 14 hour day driving (an unexpected delay at a seafood place called the Clam Box in Massachusetts added 2 hours to the trip...but provided some tasty fried clams and scallops), we arrived at Jean and John's house just north of Bangor on Pushaw lake. We had a light dinner of anti-pasto and steamed mussels and then watched the Olympics (quite a theme so far on this vacation...the Olympics, that is).

Sunday was deemed a "go nowhere day" since we had spent 14 hours in the car the day before. It was a gorgeous day, and most of it was spent on the dock by the lake, floating in the lake, on the boat, in the hammock, and in the lake working on my open water swimming. I did ok on the swimming, the water was cold and kept taking my breath away. No breath makes swimming difficult. I made it 500 meters into the dock, though. Dinner was a nice pork chop, potatoes and squash. I was the rude one and went into the living room immediately after eating to watch women's gymnastics. It was not worth it...the US gymnasts had a rough night. I'm hoping they will do better tonight.

Yesterday we drove to Camden, ME which is a touristy town on the coast. The weather was typical coastal Maine...cloudy and overcast with a bit of fog. We didn't really have any rain though, which was nice. I went for a run in the late afternoon, and managed to make it the whole way...even with a one-mile uphill climb! After my run, we headed to downtown Bangor to eat at Massimo's, an Italian restaurant with fantastic food. Afterwards, I (big surprise) watched the Olympics...another gold by Michael Phelps and a bronze medal by US men's gymnastics team. The gymnastics didn't end until 12:45 AM, so I slept in a bit this morning!

It's a rainy day today, so I think we're going to be a bit lazy again. Perhaps a trip into Bangor...and then more Olympics, I'm sure! I will be treating Jean and John to some shrimp and grits for dinner (actually the Columbia, SC's Blue Marlin restaurant's recipe). I'm convinced that I can make John like grits....nothing like Adluh flour's stone ground yellow grits!

I don't have my photos downloaded yet, but when I do I'll post a few up.

No comments: