Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Opera Etiquette

As my faithful blog readers know, I'm a big opera fan. This year, I've had the privilege of attending a few operas at larger houses - Washington National Opera at the Kennedy Center Opera House and the Met (on my birthday, no less!). In those performances, I've experienced some odd interactions with other opera-goers such as the sniffer.

On Sunday, Maureen, Sharon and I went to see WNO's production of Peter Grimes (which was fabulous....kudos to the chorus!). We had great seats in the first tier. Great...except for the people around us. Granted, it was the Sunday matinee, but I expected people to be a little more polite at the opera. During Act II, the man to my left (who was sort of cuddling with his wife) kept leaning into me. I couldn't actually sit back in my seat because my shoulders wouldn't fit! I mean, my shoulders are broad, but not broader than a chair! I do have a bit of a personal space issue...but still! Sharon was wondering why I kept leaning towards her...she guessed that I must miss J and wanted to cuddle. I did miss J...although we were watching him onstage. But my real reason was the strange man who was invading my personal space. :)

Also, the man in front of us kept putting his arm around the woman next to him behind the seat. There wasn't a whole lot of leg room anyway, and his arm took away 4 inches of space. He kept almost feeling my leg throughout the whole performance. Eww.

And then, an older lady on the end of our row wouldn't get up during the intermission when we left to head to the ladies room. As soon as we crawled over her, she got up and followed us to the ladies room!

I also would like to say that a Sunday matinee is not an evening opera...so please don't wear your sparkly evening dress and rhinestone studded heels! I am not a snob when it comes to what one should wear to the opera or how one should behave (although I myself enjoy dressing up and drinking champagne when I go), but there are some rules that just shouldn't be broken.

Also, Peter Grimes is the first tragic opera that didn't make me cry. I think it's because the main characters are a bit static...the opera is primarily about the people of the town (the Borough) and their predujices in a sense. Next up for me? Turandot. Although I haven't seen it, I imagine that one will make me sob...

No comments: