Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Office Pet Peeves

Since I've been essentially chained to my computer and desk chair for the past week, I thought I'd share a few of my pet peeves when it comes to the work environment.

  • People who put their food in the microwave to heat, walk off, and don't come back for awhile. We only have 2 microwaves in our office that are supposed to serve about 150 people. The hours of 12-2 are often busy by the microwave. To me, it's common courtesy to stay by your food until it is finished, or at least make an effort to come back within a minute of when the food should be done. I always feel bad taking people's food out, but if they don't show up after a minute or so, I do. There is generally a line of folks waiting to use the microwave...
  • People who walk around the office with iPod earbuds in. To me, it's fine to listen at your desk, but when you get up to go to the bathroom/kitchen, etc...it's a little excessive to leave them in. One of our developers does this...I know they are anti-social to begin with, but really? It's just rude, in my opinion. I think this is ok behavior if you are walking down city streets or on the subway, but walking to the bathroom in the office with your iPod is kind of strange.
  • The bathroom cell phone talker is always on my list as a pet peeve. I've gotten to know her a little better, but I still find it odd to listen to her conversations while I'm in the restroom!
  • Anyone who heats up fish in an office microwave. The smell is so nauseating...

That's it for now. Anyone else have office pet peeves?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i know exactly what you mean!
* Men who take our magazines into the bathroom and then put them BACK in the break room
* agreed on the microwave thing
* When people mess with things on my desk that aren't theirs to be touching

Anonymous said...

Haha!

People who talk to you yet they are staring at their computer / iphone

Burning popcorn in the microwave

People who remove photos / stuff on a cubicle wall and then don't put it back (just leave it on your desk) when they're leaving

People who mess up a printer / copier but pretend it wasn't them

That's pretty good for a sahm - right?! :)