Tuesday, September 9, 2008

On my nightstand and playing on my iPod

I've been on a bit of a book kick recently. Not the "light" novels that I usually read to distract myself, but some good fiction and informative nonfiction. I joined Audible.com this summer, and I highly recommend it. For $7.50 a month, you get one credit. A credit is good for one audiobook download (with the exception of some of the unabridged new releases).

For our drive to Maine, I downloaded and listened to Under the Banner of Heaven by Jon Krakauer. It's about fundamentalist Mormonism, polygamy, and a murder by some of the fundamentalist Mormons that they called "a revelation from God". Good book, but pretty disturbing. We listened to it for Maureen's book club, and I went to the meeting...great discussion.

Right now, I'm listening to City of Falling Angels by John Berendt. He wrote Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil about Savannah. This book is about Venice, it's people, and the controversy that occured after the 1996 fire at the Venice Opera House. So far, it's pretty good. I have learned, however, that nonfiction is more captivating when I read it instead of listening to it.

I just finished Chalked Up: Inside Elite Gymnastics' Merciless Coaching, Overzealous Parents, Eating Disorders, and Elusive Olympic Dreams, by Jennifer Sey, a former National Champion. Very interesting memoir. Her stories about her early years in gymnastics at some of the lower levels brought back good memories for me, but reading all that she went through as an Elite gymnast was discouraging. The book has generated a lot of controversy about women's gymnastics and it's coaches...as I wrote a few months ago I tend to think the bad stuff happens, but not in all situations.

Anyway, that's what I've been reading lately. Next up are a few novels based in Charleston...

No comments: