Thursday, September 25, 2008

The Thursday Commute

I've been thinking about kicking off a weekly series of posts about what my coworker, Laura, and I see during our daily carpool commute to work. After discussing some of the funnier things/people we've seen yesterday, I thought today might be a good day to begin the series. I'll post about our week's commute on Thursdays.

Before I began to carpool with Laura, I didn't notice too many odd things on the road. I guess I was lost in my own little world. I would notice the occasional odd license plate phrase, or a woman attempting to put make-up on in the car, but since we started carpooling I've really started noticing some wild things!

The Truck that is also a Submarine- well at least it looks like a submarine. While stuck in traffic one day, Laura saw this truck drive by with a big pipe sticking out of the passenger side mirror. We were trying to figure out what it was...it literally looked like a periscope! After 5 minutes of deliberating, Laura rolled down her window to ask. "It's an intake" the driver replied. Neither of us knew exactly what an intake is...but we assume it is something fancy to make the truck go faster. In any case, the truck looks like a submarine with a periscope!

Maxine- when I lived in my apartment and commuted to the west side of Baltimore, there was a woman that must have been on the exact schedule that I was. I would end up behind her on the way to work almost every morning, and occasionally on the way home in the afternoons. I always knew it was her because her license plate says "Maxine". Then, I started seeing Maxine's car around town...at the library...at the store...and then I didn't see her for a long time. When I started my new job commuting just outside of DC, I started seeing Maxine again. I guess she now works in or around DC like me...perhaps we are living parallel lives!

The Sleepers- there is a car with a Bryn Mawr College sticker that drives by us occasionally in the afternoon. There are three older, business-type people in the car...2 men and one woman. One of the men and the woman are always asleep, and the woman is always sitting in the back seat. Sometimes her face is smashed up against the glass. It's quite entertaining!

Hopefully, I'll have a few interesting tidbits to bring you each week during "The Thursday Commute"!

No comments: