Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Organization

I've been trying to get my life re-organized for a few weeks now. I'm usually organized to the point of being obnoxious about it...but recently I've just been too busy to care! I think I like to be organized because it lets me feel like I'm in control. When I first moved to Annapolis and lived in an apartment by myself, I was ultra-organized in everything...the apartment, my office, my music for chorale, my schedule, my cooking habits...literally everything! However, I was also spending most of my weekends in the apartment by myself since I didn't know many people yet. I can remember some weekends I would come in from work on Friday evening and not leave again until Monday morning! So, I had plenty of time to keep myself organized...and it was a pleasant diversion from the fact that I was lonely. Now, I'm lucky if I can find the time to clean my bathroom and do laundry...much less alphabetize my music or ensure that my closet is in perfect order.

I'm trying to find a nice balance between being organized enough to make it through a week with minimal stress and being so focused on organization that it is detrimental to my relationships with people. I knew I needed to reform my obsession with organization a few years ago when a friend called to invite me out and I almost said, "I can't...I'm supposed to clean my carpet tonight". Thankfully, I caught myself before the words were out of my mouth!

At the moment however, my life needs a bit of organization. My car is a mess, my bed currently is unmade, I have no idea where half of my clothes in my closet are, the dry cleaning pile contains most of my nicer outfits, and my desk at work has a pile of papers a mile high that need to be thrown away or transferred into outlines. So, I'm going to do what I can to get some of these things back in control!

No comments: