Thursday, October 16, 2008

Napping

I love taking naps. I probably have loved them since....well, Middle School I guess. I often took Sunday afternoon naps then...always my favorite! When I was in Middle School and High School, I would sometimes nap in my bed, but more often on the Lazy Boy or the sofa in the Den. On weekends, I was usually napping while my Dad was watching golf or Nascar. The low drone of the Nascar races is very soothing...

Anyway, in college I started taking longer, deeper naps. Probably because, like most college students, I was pretty sleep deprived. My Freshman year, I napped from 1 PM to 4 PM everyday. Later, I didn't sleep quite as long or as hard, but I would still usually take some form of an afternoon nap.

When I started working, I obviously had to do away with the afternoon nap. However, I often still would take a short 15 or 30 minute nap when I came home in the evening. When I moved to Annapolis, that would continue....usually the time between when I got home from work (5:15) and when I had to be at rehearsal (7 or 7:30), I would take a quick cat nap while watching tv.

For some reason, I don't really take regular naps anymore. Part of it is because I don't get home until after 6 now, and I guess another part is that Maureen is usually home...and in order to fall asleep quickly I need complete silence (except for the tv, of course). I find that I get very sleepy around 2 or 3 PM every day. So, I will occasionally go out to my car and take a quick nap in the backseat. My Saturn isn't as comfortable as my 1984 Chevy Caprice Classic (the backseat was like a couch!), but it does the trick. Until my company buys one of these nap pods, I guess I'll have to make do with my backseat...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oooh, nap pods! great stuff :)

Somehow I think I remember coming to see Miranda once and you were asleep and she said to be quiet - haha!

I need a recharge every day after lunch; usually 20-40 minutes does me good. Kids are up by 7/7:30 and non-stop until 1-1:30 pm, and I can't make it through dinner to bedtime without slowing down for a bit. Often I am not self-disciplined enough to take the cat nap when my laptop is nearby, and I think it's because I crave some kind of adult "conversation." Email/Blog/Facebook meets my needs for that during the day - if I go all day without talking to a single sole about something above a preschool level until Eric gets home, I kind of go crazy!!! I draw near to Christ, but I also need some adult interaction... so anyway, that is always there nagging at me and gets in the way of resting when I need to rest.

When I am pregnant, that's a completely different scenario! Besides being borderline anemic all the time, I need a good 2 hour nap almost every day of the week to function with the other kids! I am sad to say, but Page, you'll probably need lots of sleep when you are pregnant!!! :)