Monday, October 13, 2008

Whirlwind Weekend

I'm kinda shocked to already be back at work this Monday morning. It seems like I left only a few short hours ago...

Which I didn't. But my weekend flew by so fast that it felt like that! Friday evening was a nice, relaxing one...came home to dinner on the grill (thanks Mo!), watched the re-released version of Sleeping Beauty (my all-time favorite Disney movie), and christened my new Riedel spirit glasses with some Port.

Saturday, I got up earlier than I typically do during the week (6:15), and headed over to my church to join up with a group going to work with Habitat for Humanity for the day. As we were standing around, I noticed that my tire looked flat. I walked over and heard the dreaded "sSSSSSSS" sound of leaking air. At some point that morning, I had driven over a nail. Ugh. We headed off to Habitat site, and I was assured by the menfolk around that they would help this Damsel in Distress by changing my tire when we got back to the parking lot.

I really enjoyed the Habitat time (although we were doing my least favorite task...painting). When I worked with Habitat in college, we were always building new houses. Here, they work on a mix of new houses, and then rehab a lot of old rowhouse/townhouse type structures. I think that is so much more beneficial to a community than building a bunch of new houses. The day went by quickly....we sanded drywall, dusted the walls, and painted the entire house! By the time we finished, I was dirty, tired, and already sore from squatting to paint the bottom of the walls. But, it felt good to volunteer some of my time for a worthy cause, and I enjoyed working alongside one of the women who will soon be purchasing a Habitat House. When we got back to the church, the helpful menfolk changed my tire and sent me on my way.

Saturday evening, Maureen and I went shopping...she was looking for fancy shoes for a dress...I needed some fall/transition weather tops to update my wardrobe, some jeans, and brown fall/winter shoes without a huge heel. We were both somewhat successful. After a tasty dinner at Lemongrass II, I fell into bed exhausted around 10:00.

Sunday, I slept through my alarm and missed church. Which was ok, because I had a lot to do for the day...chores, a haircut/color...a visit to the tire place...where I ended up getting 4 new tires. My old ones were 4 years old, and I've known I probably need new ones for awhile. These have a nice ride and are quiet, so I was glad to get some new ones.

When I got home, we had a cookout to officially inaugurate the new grill. We originally thought we'd have a few folks over (3 or 4)...and somehow that grew into 15. It was a very fun evening, though! London broil, tasty salad, yummy apple crisp...impromptu piano bar...I definitely enjoyed myself! I folded some clothes and fell into bed again and attempted to wind down. And then suddenly, it was this morning...

No comments: