Thursday, October 9, 2008

The Thursday Commute, Volume 3

Welcome to this week's installment of the Thursday Commute. Strangely, we didn't see too many odd things on the road this week. I didn't even see anything odd during my roadtrip to and from NC. So, I thought I'd post a few random pet peeves and odd driving habits that we often see during the commute.

Frogger- Since we have two people in our car, Laura and I are able to drive in the HOV lane for about 8 miles or so until it ends just after the Bowie exit on Route 50. Unfortunately, getting to the HOV lane from our exit is not a simple task! Traffic starts to back up at our exit, and the HOV lane is all the way over to the left. We have to cross 4 lanes of stopped or slow moving traffic to get there. We typically refer to it as our game of Frogger. Some days it's easy, other days it's tough.

Middle Lane Drivers- I get so frustrated at people who drive slowly in the middle lane. They really back up traffic! Generally, if someone passes you on the right, it means that you are going too slow to be in the middle lane.

Cell-phone Drivers- This is really my biggest pet peeve. Almost anytime I see someone do something stupid on the road (change lanes without looking, drive slowly in the middle lane), they are on a cell-phone. As convenient as they are, you really shouldn't drive and talk on the phone unless you are an excellent multi-tasker.

Blinker Busters- One thing I've noticed about Maryland drivers is that they ignore blinkers. In fact, if you are in a lane trying to get over (like during HOV Frogger), most drivers speed up in order to prevent you from getting in. It's as if we are in some contest, and no one can break in line. It really frustrates me...would you rather me cut you off, or use my blinker to let you know I'm coming over?

Well, that's it for this week's Thursday Commute. Hopefully next week I'll have some more funny people to write about!

1 comment:

Lauren @ mostly i run said...

Yesterday, a driver almost crashed into us as he swerved ever-so-close to the line. I think he was writing a text message. He went back to it after I honked.

A friend of ours grew up in northern Virginia. When learning to drive, they told her if you saw someone signaling to get into your lane, you should speed up! I figure that is why nobody ever lets you in around here.