Friday, October 17, 2008

Raise Your Hand if You Can Follow Instructions...

Has anyone else noticed that people in our society can't seem to follow simple instructions? The unfortunate thing about my comment is that I'm not referring to children...but adults. One of the basic things I remember teachers trying to convey in school was the need to follow instructions. Most students seemed to have issues with this in Middle School...but as they went on to High School following directions seemed to become less and less of an issue. I think that process must reverse as people get older...

It seems that one of the consequences of email is that people no longer read anything for detail. When barraged with email after email, I think we get to a point where we skim for pertinent information and ignore details. I find this happens often with emails I send out for training sessions. I have a few sentences bolded and in red in the emails...most importantly "To ensure that you’re able to login to the WebEx session correctly, please attempt to login at least 10 minutes prior to the scheduled time." Well, most people login about 3 minutes late...and then we spend 10 minutes waiting for the session to load on their computer.

Other people that I work with seem to have the same issue with reading emails. I know that I am a fairly detailed person so I usually read for detail...but the unprofessional mistakes that we accept in the business world these days is astounding. Things like spelling errors (we have spellcheck now!), tardiness, missed deadlines, rude comments...I have a feeling these things would not have been acceptable in the business world 20 years ago. Maybe it's just the industry I work in, but it seems to be a common issue.

Anyway, just had to vent about some things that I've experienced today...

No comments: