Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Interesting Demographics

I don't generally write about politics on this blog because my blog is not intended to be controversial. I'm also not going to write about who I voted for, because I think that is a private decision that should be made conscientiously, without too much influence from others. Personally, I'm pretty cynical when it comes to politics and I don't think I'll ever be able to back any candidate 100%. Maybe not even like 80%. If I could find a morally conservative, social liberal that doesn't believe in legislating morality to the nth degree...well, then I wouldn't live in America. :) Some of you would be shocked to know who I voted for, and some of you would be ecstatic. Jesus isn't a Republican or a Democrat, and I could never fully support anyone who doesn't attempt to think like He did.

Anyway, I really have been shocked at how many people declared their voting preference on Facebook. And not only that, I was most shocked that the voting preferences fell exactly along predictable lines among my friends. This analysis isn't meant to offend anyone...I am just taking what has been put out there on Facebook by my friends and analyzing the data. Southern College ministry friends...all but one for McCain. Friends from my church in Maryland ...about 70% McCain/30% Obama. Friends from other groups in Maryland...about 95% for Obama.

I mean, that's what I would have predicted...but it makes me wonder if we aren't being too heavily influenced by our friends and family when making political decisions. I would consider almost all of my friends on Facebook very well-educated (a lot from private liberal arts colleges), and yet the fact that there is such a geographic and spiritual split is interesting. I can't tell you how many political email forwards I received from people where facts were not checked and the email was just sent around (again...if you sent me one of these emails...I'm not trying to offend you...just found them interesting).

I guess my point is that I hope everyone does their own research when it comes to voting for a candidate, and doesn't just rely on who our friends or family support. I also hope that we are all taking a hard look at the issues, and while voting our conscience, also look realistically at what can be changed in our country and what can't.

In any case, those of us that voted were able to take part in a historic election that showed how far our country has come with regard to race. I don't think our grandparents could have imagined an African-American as President. No matter what our political leanings, I hope we all realize that our country has taken a big step in upholding our creed that all men are created equal.

No comments: