Monday, November 3, 2008

Navy Football

Somehow in the last 4 years that I've lived in Annapolis, I've become a Navy Football fan. It's pretty simple, actually. When I first moved to Annapolis, I lived about mile from the stadium. I could hear most of the games from my house. I'm a huge football fan, and at the time I wished I could go to the games. Unfortunately, I didn't know anyone in town very well yet, and didn't want to go to the games by myself (I had a few good friends, but they didn't LOVE football the way I do). I used to sit in my apartment with the windows open listening to the game, the echo of the drums of the bands, and just feel kinda homesick and lonely.

Fast forward a few years when I moved in with Maureen. She is not only a huge football fan, but also a Navy fan (her brother went to the Academy, and she worked there for 15 years). So, I started going to games with her. I've been to about 10 Navy games in the past 3 years, and have had lots of fun at all of them. There is something pretty cool about the traditions of the Academy...the mids marching on the field, the flyover (although we haven't had jets at any games I've been at this year), the Drum and Bugle Corps...I love it all. This year, a friend has tickets to the Navy vs. Notre Dame game at Ravens Stadium in Baltimore. I'm excited about going, and I plan on being an all-out Navy fan complete with hat, shirt, and face tattoos. It should be a lot of fun!

No comments: