Thursday, November 6, 2008

The Thursday Commute- Standard Time Edition

Welcome to this week's installment of the Thursday Commute. Now that we are back on Standard Time, the afternoon commute is completely in the dark. We leave work at 5:30 PM...and here in the Eastern part of the Eastern Time Zone...it's pretty darn dark at 5:30 PM. Shoot, come the end of December, it'll be pretty darn dark at 5:00 PM. Anyway, we don't see as many strange things on the road in the dark. I guess it's more difficult to see people in their cars.

However, we did catch a lady from Colorado sleeping in her car last evening. We were sitting on Aris T Allen Blvd (AA, for those of you who get my frustrated "I hate AA" texts), in the normal bottleneck that occurs EVERY SINGLE DAY, and noticed that an SUV beside us wasn't keeping up with the stop and go cars in its lane. When we got up close, there was a woman nodding off with her eyes closed. She woke up, drove forward, and nodded off again. It was pretty entertaining...but I made sure to give her a wide berth when I passed her. The sad part? When I am having sleeping problems and I'm in the car by myself...I have sooooooo been that sleepy person!

My next thought relates to commuting, but only has to do with me...not anything strange that we have seen. Does anyone else absolutely hate morning talk shows on the radio? I am the type of person who just wants to listen to music while I'm driving in the morning. I drove by myself into work this morning, and my iPod died 2 minutes into the trip, so I turned the radio on to find some music. It took about 5 minutes to find a station that didn't have some radio personality giving his/her opinion on entertainment, the election, etc. I guess I must be the opposite of most people...I like to listen to music on the way to work in the morning, and listen to the news (usually NPR) on the way home in the afternoon. In the morning, I'm often processing my dreams (they are usually pretty vivid), solving problems, or just daydreaming. Since I usually don't feel completely awake on the way to work, my brain is still in that productive dream-like state. The last thing I want to hear is Jack Diamond talking about why some actress got kicked off of Grey's Anatomy. This morning, I had to settle on the country station because even the Classical stations had someone prattling away. I guess it's a good thing that I can usually just plug in my iPod...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey! Actually, pooo! No, we won't be in town that week! We're headed to S'burg for Lydia's birthday on the 24th and will be up in NC for a family vacation that week until Thanksgiving! :( If you're around S'burg that week, though, we should get together (or if you'll be down here before Sunday, you could come to East Cooper w/ us Sun. morning!!!)